University of Kentucky College of Agriculture

Barnhart Fund for Excellence

Barnhart Fund for Excellence

Dean Charles Barnhart

      Dean Charles E. Barnhart (1969-1988)

The Charles E. Barnhart Fund for Excellence was created to honor Dr. Barnhart, dean of the College of Agriculture, Food and Environment from 1969-1988. The Barnhart Fund supports activities that enhance excellence in College of Agriculture, Food and Environment programs.

Annually, the Barnhart Fund for Excellence Committee, comprised of faculty and staff and appointed to three-year terms by the dean, seeks proposals for projects/programs to be supported by the fund. Such proposals might include, but not be limited to workshops/conferences, nationally or internationally renowned speakers to give major presentations, programmatic initiatives with an excellence theme, and student enrichment and development activities. Funded proposals may receive up to $1,000. Approximately 10-12 projects are funded per year, out of an average of 40 applications.


New Applicants

The deadline for projects occurring in FY 2015 (July 1, 2014- June 30, 2015) has passed. Proposals for projects occurring in FY 2016 (July 1, 2015- June 30, 2016) are due March 18, 2015. To apply for funding during FY 2016, please submit the following form to

Barnhart Fund For Excellence 2016 Proposal Form


FY 2015 Awardees

Leaders and Co-Leaders of projects funded by the Barnhart Fund for Excellence in FY 2015 need to submit documentation of all expenditures of awarded funds using the following forms:

County Extension Offices Expenditure Form

Campus Units Expenditure Form


Past Projects

A list of projects the Barnhart Fund for Excellence has funded in the past can be found at the link below. Reviewing this list may be helpful to those considering applying for the award in the future.

Past Barnhart Fund For Excellence Recipients


Contact Information

If you have questions regarding the Barnhart Fund, please contact:

Megan Lucy



Questions specifically about award expenditures by Extension offices should be directed to:

Tina Ward