Faculty Phased Retirement Procedures
Please note: As per AR 3:2, phased retirement appointments will be granted only when such appointments are in the best interests of the university. The Provost announced in June 2015 that he will no longer approve faculty phased retirement proposals that exceed three years. Therefore, faculty phased retirement appointments in CAFE will not be approved for more than three years in duration.
Further, according to the Provost’s August 26, 2015 memo regarding faculty performance review, “All educational unit administrators who have faculty on phased retirement shall take steps to ensure that those individuals are meeting or exceeding their unit’s performance expectations in their areas of assignment.” In order to comply with this directive, starting in January 2016, department chairs will complete an annual evaluation on phased retirement faculty members one month prior to the anniversary date of their phased appointments. This evaluation will be very similar to an APR in that the phased retirement faculty member will submit a CV or report on activities for the prior 12 months and the chair will complete a PDF APR form. These documents should be submitted to the Assistant Dean for Academic Administration for review by the dean and associate deans. Department chairs will receive information about these reviews from the Assistant Dean for Academic Administration.
The steps to begin a phased retirement:
1. Faculty member contacts Department Chair (and Unit Director, if appropriate) regarding phased retirement interest and intent.
2. Faculty member verifies with a retirement officer in the Employee Benefits Office that he or she is eligible for phased retirement. This “service check” can be accomplished by calling 257-9519, option 3.
3. Department Chair/Unit Director informs the Dean by sending an email to Lisa Collins (email@example.com) on this email. Upon preliminary approval by the Dean, the faculty member and chair proceed with the process.
4. Faculty member provides Department Chair/Unit Director with formal written phased retirement request (cover letter, completed and notarized HR form, and an outline of teaching, research, and service assignments to be fulfilled during the phased retirement period).
5. Department Chair and/or Unit Director submits the request for phased retirement to the Assistant Dean for Academic Administration with cover letter indicating support.
Submit the packet to:
CAFE Assistant Dean's Office
L-104 Ag Science Center North
6. If approved, the department is notified to complete an Academic Appointment Form (E02) that reflects the phased retirement. This form is included with the other documents that go to the Provost and the Board of Trustees.
7. Once the request is approved by the Provost and Board of Trustees, the Dean’s Office contacts the department and the faculty member. The completed documents reside in the faculty member’s SPF.
8. The faculty member should work with his or her Department Chair/Unit Director and payroll officer to ensure the payroll assignment reflects the phased retirement agreement.
9. Before requesting phased retirement, please be sure to check with Joey Payne in HR Benefits, 257‐9185, firstname.lastname@example.org.