Visiting scholar (sometimes called a visiting scientist) and faculty appointments are covered by AR 5:1.   

If an exchange visitor is enrolled in any university, (even as an ABD Ph.D. candidate), follow the instructions for appointing visiting graduate students. 

It is important to note the difference between visiting scholars and visiting faculty members. Visiting scholars do research while at UK and do not teach, while visiting faculty are primarily assigned teaching responsibilities. 

Visiting scholars/faculty members have temporary academic appointments with the University, not to exceed one year. Renewals are only accepted for approval by the Provost in rare instances and must be well justified. Visiting scholars/faculty do not typically receive a salary from the University, however as temporary academic staff, they are eligible for some UK benefits, such as a UK ID card, parking permit, and medical insurance. For a complete list of benefits visiting scholars are eligible for see AR 5:1.  

The domestic visiting scholar appointment process is covered by section A below. the international visiting scholar appointment is a two-step prcoess (A and B below). 

A. Complete the following steps to appoint a visiting scholar in CAFE: 

  1. A faculty member may identify a scholar they would like to invite to participate in research at the University of Kentucky as a visiting scholar.
  2. Request a complete CV from the candidate.
  3. In writing, the sponsoring faculty member should request permission from their Department Chair to extend an offer to the visiting scholar. This correspondence between the sponsoring faculty member and the chair should outline dates and expectations set on the proposed visiting scholar. This may be done by email.
  4. The sponsoring faculty member should send an offer letter to the visiting scholar outlining dates and expectations of the appointment. This may be done by email.
  5. The Department Chair should complete the CAFE Visiting Scholar Approval form. 
  6. Attach the scholar’s CV, a copy of the offer letter, and a copy of the correspondence between the sponsoring faculty member and the Visiting Scholar Approval form to an email and send to Assistant Director of Faculty Resources Megan Lucy at  
  7. Once the Dean has approved the appointment, the packet will be forwarded to the Provost’s Office for final approval. 
  8. Add the Visiting Scholar's information into SAP so that they are able to receive the UK benefits available to them. The Visiting Scholar Approval Form, signed by the associate dean, must be attached to the request in the SAP workflow system. 

Additional Documentation and Approval for Visiting Faculty

If a visiting faculty member will be teaching, additional documentation is needed. Follow the same steps as for a visiting scholar/scientist however, in addition to the CV and letters, the following documents are required:

  1. New Faculty Demographic Form
  2. Original, official transcripts of the visiting faculty member’s highest degree

Submit these documents, along with the rest of the appointment packet to the Office of Faculty Resources, Planning and Assessment. The Office of Faculty Resources, Planning and Assessment will generate an E02 and Teaching Credentials form. These will need to be signed and returned via email to

Visiting faculty with teaching appointments must be approved by both the Provost and Board of Trustees. The Office of Faculty Resources, Planning and Assessment will forward the necessary paperwork and Faculty Database actions to the Provost’s Office to complete these steps.

Electronic signatures are accepted on all documents. 

B. International Visiting Scholars and Faculty

In addition to following all of the above procedures, CAFE Departments should contact Dr. Carol Hanley for assistance with bringing in international visiting scholars and faculty members.  You may also want to visit the CAFE International Programs website for additional information. Please begin the J-1 Visa application process at least three months in advance of when you would like your visiting scholar to arrive. Also, for visiting scholars and faculty from outside of the United States, please refer to the J-1 Visa information from the UK International Center. Updates about current US Visa policy and procedures can also be found the US Department of State website for J-1 Visa Programs